Monday, December 1, 2014

D.O.N.E

Today I received my 12th and FINAL chemo infusion! I will have to have a blood draw and check-in with Dr. Brennan every 3 months and a CT scan every six months for the next two years. Definitely manageable.  It was a huge sigh of relief to get get the "goodbye" from Dr. Brennan, unhook my port from the IV, and walk out the door.


A kind neighbor gifted me this beautiful bracelet (from Fort Thomas Central) and when I put it on the impact of the word survivor really sunk in for the first time.  I am now officially a "Cancer Survivor." An identity that I am not quite used to yet but one of which I know I will some day be really proud. There are a lot of emotions that I have put on hold during this journey in the interest of inner strength to press on and now that I am on the other side I am starting to really grasp what we have been through. I know over the course of the next few months, as my body and mind recover, I will be able to search and understand those feelings at a greater depth.

For today I am resting in God's faithfulness, not only that I was able to be healed physically through the miracles of modern medicine and dedicated doctors and nurses. But, also, that He was present every day, every hour, every minute through his earthly daughters and sons. Since I have been in the habit of posting cheesy song lyrics on this blog I will go ahead and top everyone off with another (and this one is extra cheesy). There is an old Alabama song called "Angels Among Us" that has been whispering itself in my brain the past few days. They go like this:

"I believe there are angels among us. Sent down to us from somewhere up above. 
They come to you and me in our darkest hour to show us how to live, teach us how to give, 
to guide us with the light of love."

I can't think of any other words that more accurately describe my feelings about all of the support we have received over the past 6 months. To those of you who have written cards, sent gifts, cooked meals, babysat our kids, listened to us vent, or prayed for us... you have literally been our angels. You propped us up when we couldn't stand on our own. Truly, you have done the work of God whether you acknowledge that or not. Thank you isn't enough but it is all I have.

There are three people that I want to call out specifically: 

Bradley. He has listened to me me fret and feel sorry for myself while gently leading me back around to positivity. He has watched me physically balloon into a bloated, bald mess while all the while encouraging me (read: lying through his teeth :) )that I am still beautiful to him. He has spent many extra nights waking up with Mae for bottle duty. He has been brave for the both of us at the countless appointments for scans, surgeries and chemotherapy infusions. He has been everything one hopes their spouse means when they vow "in sickness or in health." This experience has certainly been an exercise in strength for our marriage and we have prevailed. Thanks be to God.

Mom and Dad. There are no words for they way they have supported us. I am fairly new to this parenting thing and am only just beginning to understand the depth of sacrificial love that the job requires. My parents have embodied this in the truest sense and have set a beautiful example of servanthood for us and our kids. Without hesitation they opened their home to us, toddlers and all, and have accepted the night time crying, mealtime messes, mountains of toys and general chaos with which we come. They made space in their busy but peaceful lives and happily accepted the tornado that we are. There is no greater gift.    


Thank you again for every kindness you have shown to me and my family over the past 6 months we are forever grateful. Please continue to pray for us as we make adjustments to get back to our "regularly scheduled" lives, and for the many others who continue to fight the good fight against cancer.  

Love, Love, Love,

Liz

1 comment:

  1. That is one of the most beautiful journal entries I've ever read. You have been an incredible soldier, dear girl. Every time I've seen you, I found it hard to believe that you were battling lymphoma. You always smiled, your eyes still twinkled, and your demeanor never revealed the trauma you were experiencing. YAY YOU! What a joy that you are now among the survivor group! Prayers answered. Hope, faith, and love. Life is good. God is good. You are beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete